Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Week 4: Reading Diary B

  • Despite knowing the true ending of Ramayana, I wish Kaikeyl was not so quick to trust her servant Manthara when he/she convinces her to stop Rama from becoming king. I think Kaikeyl has to know that Rama will eventually become king regardless of her actions, so this likely factors in to her decision.
  • All of these sorts of decisions are made without Bharata being present, which is obviously going to be a spot of disagreement later on.
  • The citizens act of raising the river to block Rama has got to be the most impressive thing a town has ever done to keep their monarch in town.
  • I don't remember Guha having a role in Narayan's version. I'd like to make a storytelling post where Guha is a stand-up comedian. I feel like he could have some crazy stories, too.
  • I think Lakshmana should be the official unsung hero of the entire book. He battles relentlessly and competently without any supernatural ability, he can build houses on a whim in the forest, and he's a master tactician for Rama. I like that Buck gives a little more insight on him.
  • I hate the part of both books where Dasartha dies of grief. The parents who told Dasharatha he should be on the flames with their son were clearly talking out of anger and shock. Parents should never wish for anyone to lose his son. Dasarathra takes this too literally, and does not take into account what his death could possibly do to hurt his sons, and even his country who do not have a king in the meantime. I could see an alternate storyline where he dies of grief and Ravana comes in to rule Ayodha as their new ruler.
  • I understand that Darasathra intends to give each wife her own say and kept promises, but I felt like the only wife who talked rationally was Kausalya. This is possibly just because she is the birth mother of Rama, and she likely is trying to protect her son first and foremost.

No comments:

Post a Comment