Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Reading Diary A: Week 4

  1. I'm not sure I am going to enjoy Buck's version as much as I thought I was going to. For one, the part of the first edition that always had me scrambling when reading was the constant slur of new characters being presented. Looks like I had it easy in the first one, because Buck's version feels like a constant bombardment of names. The legend they give before the chapter is too much to comprehend as well, but it certainly helps.
  2. I enjoy how much detail he goes into when describing Ravana and the tales of the other rahshasas upbringing. It's nice to know that Lanka has not always been the demon stronghold that it was when Rama attacked.
  3.  It's also interesting that the whole beginning talks about the events as if they already happened while also promising to tell them anyway.
  4. The quarrel between Indra and Brahma is fascinating. It's hard to tell who is really the most powerful, but it's clear that Brahma is not nearly as eager to demonstrate that as Indra.
  5. I don't remember Shatrugna being mentioned in the first version. This could be an interesting story re-telling perspective
  6. Kumbhakma: What is there to say? He had a choice to be whatever he wanted to be, and he chose to be an eternal slumberer. I wish I could call him a glutton, but that sleep sounds pretty nice right now for a college student
  7. I think Ravana's conquests are all great foreshadowing to his eventual fate. He shows off all of his self-centered, egotistical self. He makes sure to have many invulnerabilities, but does not have one for humans. Good luck this time, Ravana.
  8. I'd like to know more about Janaka and his relationship with his daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment