Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Reading Diary Week 8: Assessment

  • Is there information from the instructions that you had not noticed before? 
  • What are the main strategies you use in writing your Diary posts? 
  • Do you have specific Diary tips that would be useful for other students?
  • Do you use the same Diary style/strategy each time?
  • Are your Diary posts more or less the same length each time, or do they vary?
  • Overall, would you say your Diary posts are too long, too short, or just about right? 
  • Is there something you have started doing in your Diary posts that you wish you had done from the beginning?
  • Is there something you might start doing in your Diary posts now that you have not done so far? 
  • Do you include images in your Diary posts?  
  • Do you include favorite quotes or phrases in your Diary posts?
  • Do you make connections to other stories / books / movies in your posts?
  • Do you take the notes while you are reading or afterwards? 
  • When you look back at your old Diary posts, are they useful?
  • What could you do to make the Diary posts more useful for future reference?
  • Do you use your Diary posts when you are writing the other blogs posts each week?
  • Overall, how good a job would say you are doing with the reading assignments?
  • In general, do you remember a lot of the reading in this class, or not so much? 
  • In general, do you remember reading in your other classes? Or do you mostly focus on preparing for exams? 
  • What are the reading strategies that are most effective for you for short-term memory? What about strategies for long-term memory? 
After reviewing the instructions, there was nothing that I explicitly did not notice before, but I realize after reviewing my posts that I spent the first couple of weeks doing a summary, and then eventually progressing to actual thoughts on some of the reading.
In my posts I generally tried to record points or thoughts about the reading I found the most interesting. I tried to use the Reading Diary as a way to foster ideas or prompts for my storytelling for that week, but I largely didn't use any of my possible prompts. I would suggest that other students try to write a little bit after they read each seciton, and not go back to post after reading the passage in its entirety. I think I would suggest this because of the volume of some of the readings each night. I've never included an image in my diary posts, but I think it could be useful to start looking up photos of some of the subjects so that you have a good foundation to choose from once you pick your storytelling topic or even just for your portfolio. With the reading assignments, my biggest problem was trying to not skip any sections, especially when they got slow and/or boring. I think I remember a lot of the reading from Narayan's version, but Buck's version of the reading seems like such a blur to me despite it being the most recent one. I think my old diary posts could be very useful for those times when I'm stuck without a prompt for my next re-telling post. I say all of this in confidence, but I still remember pretty much only relying on the book when working on storytelling posts. Part of this was because I like to include more details in my post, and I don't use the diary to record such details

1 comment:

  1. I did sort of the same thing with my reading diaries - I started out summarizing more and then as the class went on I realized I didn't really have to do that, and I started just commenting more. I also started just focusing on the stuff I found most interesting (or sometimes troubling). I usually ended up taking a storytelling topic from that stuff too. Well, good luck with the rest of the class.

    ReplyDelete