Monday, October 27, 2014

Storytelling Wk. 2: Tale From the Riverside

Source: Wikipedia
"Dad, I don't think there's another river quite like the Ganges," said the boy, as he was gently nestled into his bed. "But why must the Ganges flow so much and so violently?"

His father softly responded, "The Ganges has its own story that explains its mysterious ways. Our family name, Samprashana, means 'friends of wings' and this is because our ancestors were close companions to the river cranes on the Ganges. It is said that a crane would land on the window sill each morning and greet our ancestors, exchanging a story for a small token of nourishment." The father dimmed the lights in the room and continued, 'Be still, my son, for here is one of the many stories our ancestors have passed down to us."

While the crane was not there to see it from the beginning, he was a very close friend to the mother of the Earth. Because the crane was clever and observant, Mother trusted him with keeping tabs on the living creatures of the valley and their needs. It was mostly a menial quest. Sometimes he would report about a quarrel between mongooses, or he would tell the mother of an intense battle between two great hawks. Eventually a whole new creature appeared in the valley. This beast made the land work for him. It called itself man.

Men were intelligent, emotional, violent, and amazing, the crane thought. Unfortunately, this ability led them to even threaten some of the gods. Men could move quickly on the backs of other animals, and were often haughty enough to challenge the gods to races. One day, a man started a race against one of the gods, and while the god was very powerful, he had not practiced enough riding the horse. The man could make the quickest of turns, highest of jumps, and stop without hurting his horse. This man made the god utterly furious. The god then hid the man's horse in the sunless underworld.

The man could no longer race the gods and thus felt powerless. He made it his lifelong quest to find his racehorse, but after millions of excavations it seemed he would be forever the simple human that he was. At the ancient age of five thousand he finally discovered the horse in the light-less world and he died there of happiness. The god was pleased that his challenger had been defeated, and he began to boast to all of the other men in the world.

The crane could tell that the men were unhappy with how their brother was treated and led to die. They began to rebel against the earth, putting their waste and trash directly into the earth. The crane pleaded to Mother, "We must ease their sorrow or else your beauty will be ruined!" Mother, stricken with grief, cried down from the high heavens and washed the valley and the sunless place with her tears. Her sadness was so terrible that the entire valley began to flood away. The crane knew what he had to do. He dove straight down with the strongest of strikes. The sheer force of his dive made folds in the land that rose up and made what today is the Himalayas. Mother's flood was thus corralled by the mighty mountains, and the river began to look much like it does today.

He had managed to nourish the people's shores, wash away the remains of the man and his horse, and also serve his divine purpose.

"Good night, my little crane," whispered the father as the light washed away.

Sarus Crane - Wikipedia



Author's note:

The story I tried to re-tell was the Ganges Story from the Ramayana (Narayan, R. K. (1972) The Ramayana.)

In the original story, Sakara is a fortunate ruler who has planned out a great horse sacrifice. This sacrifice involves the passing of a decorated horse through each area of a country, and this passage is a declaration of the ruler's power. Any opposition to the horse is an act of war. This is where Indra comes in, or the man in my story. Indra goes on to hide the horse behind a meditating saint. Sakara's sons are assigned to dig until they find Sakara's horse. They finally discover Indra's hiding place and the saint is wrongly accused of stealing the horse. This saint is then tortured. This leads to Bhagiratha, similar to the crane in the story, agreeing with Shiva to help avoid the full wrath of Ganga descending upon the earth. The tortured saint thus receives salvation, and the valley is not wiped out by the powerful Ganga.

I tried to refrain from using many of the names in the story because I think the story should appeal on a general level, like a fable. I also changed the horse sacrifice in the Ganges story to a race, mainly because I think a boy would find a race with gods to be very exciting. The crane also took some of the roles that multiple characters did in the story because I wanted him to be the most heroic crane a boy could imagine. 

7 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I thought you did a great job at retelling the story of the Ganges River origin. I felt like it had a lot of imagery and word choices that could have fit right into the Ramayana book. It was a clever adaptation for you to change the horse sacrifice to a race with the gods, exciting indeed! The Himalayas reference makes this story more compelling to the reader because it is a landmark the reader can think about in today's terms. I also like how you included dialogue instead of just explaining that a father told his son this story because he was curious. Dialogue in stories are a hard thing to incorporate especially if you are like me and have trouble with the grammatical aspects to dialogue between characters. I thought you did a great job overall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy, I really enjoyed the format of the story you chose to write about. Especially in your author's note when you mentioned that you wanted to leave out the character names to make it more like a fable, I found that different and intriguing. The detail through out your story is very impressive and I like the conversation between the father and his child! It is a very common conversation between a parent and a child and I liked how you told it so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeremy! Wonderful storytelling project! I liked how you made the characters anonymous and changed different details that were specific to the story. It did make it feel more cross-cultural and relateable for people from many different backgrounds. You used dialogue well, and I liked how your details fleshed out the story without becoming overwhelming. Also, the end was wonderful-- I liked how the father called his son a little crane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremy, great job retelling the story of Ganga. I personally have visited the great river a few years back and the picture does no justice to the real view. It's simply breathtaking. Your details and presentation were great throughout the story. I enjoyed reading your author's note as well. I like how you wanted to leave out the names and make it more real and applicable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeremy! I thought you did such a great job with this retelling! I really loved how you made the story your own! The changes you made were effective in making the story more enjoyable! The changes really helped to keep the audience interested in the story. I especially enjoyed how you changed the story of how the horse was lost in the first place. I think a horse race between the man and the god was much more entertaining to the audience than the actual story! I love the character of the crane! I thought the pictures you included of the river and the crane were perfect for this post! Also, I like how you told the story in the context of a father telling his son about their heritage. It helped to make it more personal. I thought it was a good idea not to mention the names of your characters. It really added to the intrigue of the story. I did the same thing in my story of Viradha. The author's note was extremely helpful in refreshing my mind on the story, because it has been a while since I've read it! Overall, I think you did a great job on this post! Your writing seemed to be in great shape!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeremy! I believe I was assigned to read your storybook just a few weeks ago and I remembered loving it, so I was excited to get to see what else you had done with it! I decided to read this storytelling of your portfolio because I hadn't read it yet, and the title caught my eye. I love love love reading stories about the Ganges, because I am so fascinated with it. I had to do a lot of research about the Ganges for one of my posts for my storybook and I found out a lot of really cool stuff about it, so I love learning more and more about it and relating the research I found of it with the stories. I really like how you choose to do the layout of this story by having it be told to a little boy. I think if you were able to make it exciting and interesting enough to keep a little boy's attention, then you would be able to keep anyone's attention! I really liked reading this story because I hadn't read it since like the first week of class so I had hardly remembered it, so it was really exciting to read. I also think it was a really good idea to not really mention character's name, that really makes it more relatable and honestly easier to read. Sometimes when I am reading these stories I just get so lost in all of the crazy long and hard to say names, that I end up getting so distracted from the actual story, so I think that was brilliant! Your author's note was also very helpful. I always read the author's notes first because they help me kind of understand where you are taking the story before I start reading it, and your was very helpful in reminding me of this story and giving me a good little background before starting to read it! Overall, I think you have done a great job here! I look forward to reading more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i thought this was a great re-telling of the Ganges story! I like how the characters were simply a father and his son. No background information about them was really necessary, as we all understand a father answering his son's questions about the world. Furthermore, the dialogue between the two was excellent. I think you did a great job of telling the story at a 'general' level!

    ReplyDelete