Friday, October 31, 2014

Cartoon Analysis Essay: Week 11


For my analysis I chose the cartoon above, chiefly because of its tie-in to something that is near and dear to my heart: Optometry. As I have previously mentioned, I am preparing to go to Optometry school after graduation from OU.  I absolutely cannot wait to be able to serve patients like this little one, hopefully being able to correct his eye insufficiency while also correcting this point of view. I think part of what makes this cartoon appeal to me is that it is inherently true, but not in the way the boy thinks. The glasses are simply a corrective instrument that allows one to better interpret information, but cannot read or comprehend anything on their own.

This blissfully ignorant idea from the child in the cartoon is quite beautiful -- being able to read by solely by wearing these magical omnipotent frames. The first thing that comes to mind that makes this cartoon effective is the title over the glasses display that reads, "Reading Glasses". The child comprehends this as "glasses that read" instead of the intrinsic meaning, "Glasses that better allow you to read".

 I also found the right-center child's expression to be particularly hilarious, especially when considering the situation. Judging by his eyes and his leaned position while gazing at the frames, I can tell the child is having a tough time resolving the frames and signs around the room. His mouth also appears to be agape, which conveys a sense of either shock or wonder at the magical lenses that are presented in front of him.I think the cartoonist has done an excellent job of conveying the lack of resolution power the child has in his eyes currently.

In addition to the main character, there are some parts of the environment that add to the cartoon's humorous appeal. I like to imagine that the other child standing near the speaker is confused by the boy's statement. He could either be thinking, "This stupid guy over here thinks the glasses read for him", or, "I had NO idea that they had glasses that read for you. I gotta get me some!"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeremy! I love the picture that you chose to write about this week. The comic definitely makes me think of some people who would much rather find "magic" glasses than actually have to read something. Of course, that is why they invented Sparknotes, so people don't have to read the entire book. It's a cute comic. It also fits in well with what you want to do. You might actually get a kid like that as a patient one day! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete