Friday, November 14, 2014

Famous Last Words - Week 13

I could tell you all about how well I've felt this class is going for me, and I'm sure you'd all love to hear it. Instead, I have an exciting announcement to make...

I received my call from the Northeastern State Oklahoma College of Optometry and got accepted this week! I cannot express my feelings appropriately right now. All the hard work of the past 3+ years has culminated into this beautiful moment. I will be studying in Tahlequah, OK next Fall. It's actually going to be pretty tough to stay focused since all I have to do to make it in now is just complete my degree by May 2015 -- which I'm on track to do, thankfully.


The interview was fine, and I've always thought of myself as a solid interviewer, but I had my doubts. Most of this apprehension stems from some of the job interviews I've had in the past that seemingly went well, but to only end up with no call-back from the prospective employer.  I determined this Summer what I think was the source of this disinterest in my application by employers. I had used a past employer as a reference on nearly every single application I had filled out, but they evidently had written me down as a "No Call, No Show" on my last day of work there. When I confronted some of the supervisors about this, they even remembered me and thought that I fully worked my last two weeks there. The issue was that it had been so long since I worked there (over four years) that they could not change the database and thus when prospective employers called, they likely told them that I was listed as "No rehire". Needless to say, I don't include them on my reference list unless I specifically have to.

2 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I am so excited for you about optometry school!!! A couple of weeks ago I had the final followup with the eye surgeon who repaired my retinal tear this summer - a tear my optometrist had detected, saving me from a retinal detachment! So, optometrists are my HEROES and always have been (I started wearing glasses in kindergarten)... You are entering a great profession where you get to help people in some profound ways! Congratulations on all your hard work and I hope you will have a wonderful time in the school at Tahlequah!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again! CONGRATS on getting accepted into optometry school! That is such exciting news! I am currently in the process of finishing my application for OT school at the Health Sciences Center, so I understand how nerve racking the whole process is! Good luck in school, I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete