Friday, November 14, 2014

A New Punctutation Mark - The wiggin ♎

How to use this punctuation mark: 

The wiggin is to be used in those awkward statement-questions when you are unsure whether to use a period or a question mark. Sometimes it can be something simple as: "I was wondering if you could take me to school ♎" Usually you would end this in a period as it is a statement, but since there is some sort of interrogatory element to the sentence, the wiggin was used. 


The wiggin is also therefore used as a way to signify a tone of uncertainty in the author's statement. For example: "We think that the capital of Oklahoma is Norman ♎" This usage of the wiggin is useful because now the reader knows you are not attempting to make an accurate statement as much as you are guessing.


One of the disadvantages I foresee in the usage of this punctuation mark is its incorporation into cursive script. It is clearly separated into two entities, so a free-flowing writer will once again have to let the pen off the page or make a modification of the original mark. I chose the symbol of the wiggin because I liked how it looked like an underlined Omega-- which can be used to signify the end of a passage with some other emphasis (like uncertainty).


I think more succinctly, this punctuation should be used to signify the presence of indirect questions.


Examples:

I'm asking whether you like blue or green 
I'm not sure which shirt to pick 
I'm inquiring about where to sign up 



No comments:

Post a Comment